J.A. Russell Ltd
On the 1st of April 2014, J. A. Russell Ltd purchased the 13 branch Stewarts Electrical business, extending its network to 67 branches nationwide.
J. A. Russell Ltd operates as J. A. Russell Ltd in the Upper North Island, Stewarts Electrical in the Lower North Island and Radcliffe Electrical in the South Island.
J. A. Russell Ltd like Stewarts Electrical has over 65 years trading as a family owned New Zealand business and the two businesses have always shared a close relationship, harbouring the same values of integrity and exceptional service.
J. A. Russell was founded in 1951 by three friends Jack Spooner, Albert Hopkins and Russell Williamson. They combined their first names into J. A. Russell Ltd. Jack, Albert and Russell saw an opportunity to take up a cable agency and to start a new style of electrical wholesale business. A high level of personal service to customers resulted in spectacular growth and the motto, still used in the business today, was born: The House for Top Service.
In the late 1960s Jack Spooner and his wife June took over the business. Jack was joined in the company by his son Roger (in 1965) who, after gaining grounding in virtually every aspect of the business assumed the role of Managing Director. Roger's brother John Spooner joined the business in 1977 and today the company is jointly owned between the Family Trusts of Roger Spooner and John Spooner. Roger and John still work in the business, as do other family members, creating a great independent, family owned New Zealand business.